Broadband, elections, payments and E-Commerce
Currently the research activities of MONSSA are focused on three areas:
REGULATIONS which facilitate development of Internet infrastructure based on fixed and mobile networks in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa and competition between Internet providers.
EMERGENCE OF INTERNET PLATFORMS in various industries and their disruption of existing business models.
THE ROLE OF INTERNET in transformation of society including job markets, entrepreneurship, access to financial services, political participation and outcomes, etc.
MONSSA has the following ongoing research projects:
- Competition in the provision of broadband services in South Africa and the price of mobile data
- Impact of Internet on printed media in South Africa
- The role of mobile Internet access in the political process
- Use of electronic payments in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Development of e-commerce in South Africa